Cedar Springs is located north of Grand Rapids in northern Kent County. It was named after the springs bordered by cedar grove.
Cedar Springs was established in 1856 as a lumber town. They had several shingle and lumber mills. It was also the northern terminus of the Grand Rapids and Indiana railroad and the crossing point for the Toledo, Saginaw, and Muskegon Railway.
Cedar Springs Public Schools is the school district that serves Cedar Springs and also parts of Montcalm and Newaygo counties. The school district encompasses 110 square miles. The nine schools that cover Cedar Springs are Cedar Springs High School, New Beginnings Alternative High School, Red Hawk Elementary School, Cedar Springs Middle School, Cedar Trails Elementary School, Cedar View Elementary School, Beach Elementary School, Hilltop School, and Creative Technologies Academy.