Belding is a city located in Ionia county and was founded in 1871.
The Belding Museum is located in at 108 Hanover Street. Locals call it “The Bel”, and it is designated as a Michigan Historical Site. “The Bel” was built in 1906 and is the last remaining boarding house of the three that the Belding Brothers and Company provided for their single female workers.
The Belding Brothers and Company where a silk manufacturer during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. During this time the town of Belding was known as "Silk City of the World".
In 1943, “The Bel” became a recreation center and the city purchased the structure in 1950 to serve as a community center. In 1987 it became the home of the Belding Museum and it is still still up and running, hosting numerous local events.
Belding is also known for its basketball tournament called the Gus Macker tournament. When it was at its peak, Belding’s population would grow to almost 100,000 people during “Macker Weekends”.